Wednesday, February 27, 2013

OWH Midweek Throwdown

Wow it feels good to have a craft space!!  I feel so productive!

This week's Operation Write Home MidweekThrowdown was a new one for me.  They called it a recipe mix where they give us the "ingredients" and we have to come up with the card.  I just started card making, so I enjoy the sketches that have more structure.  The throwdowns, however, are more open to interpretation.  I made my card like the demo, but I'm sure the other card makers are going to make this challenge quite diverse!  This is the recipe:

1 Embossing Folder
1 Border Punch or Die
2 Patterned Papers
1 Ribbon or Twine

I tried a new technique today, sanding!  The embossed paper is Co'ordinations.  I used my Sizzix for the tag and embossing.  What nifty paper it is when you sand it!  The design paper is DCWV - The Crafty Stack.  The sentiment is from Hero Arts and the flower is a stamp from the dollar store.  Hope you like it, now I'm going to see what everyone else came up with!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

OWH Challenge # 161 - a little late

This week's Operation Write Home Challenge # 161 intended the use of a focal point.

161 Pam

Even though it's kinda late in the week to post, here it is:

I found this FREE cute digital stamp from Whimsie Doodle.  It's my second attempt at coloring, and I think she's cute.  I used watercolor pencils. In an attempt to blend the brown better, I used yellow.  I also used a little pink for blush.  I wasn't sure how to do freckles.  Also, I had a hard time cutting the circle out.  I used a compass to make the circle and cut it by hand.  If it's a digital print, I print it on the computer, but have to cut it out by hand.  I tried fussy cutting it for another card, but wasn't impressed.

Basement Rebuid with a CRAFT SPACE!!

I can't believe it's been almost three weeks since I posted, but I can't say that it has been out of laziness.  I've been working quite hard these past few weeks.  As you may know, I had a leak in the basement that turned out to have black mold and we had to strip our finished basment down to this:

After waiting for rain/snow to figure out what was going on, we found small leaks along the outside wall of our house.  How to fix it you ask?  We decided on putting in a sump pump.

They did a great job hiding it in a box, and my Dadio is coming in May to attach an access door.  Boy I wish he lived closer ...

Then contractors came for insulation and dry wall.

That's when my work started!  My wonderful husband and I worked over the past few weeks to paint the walls, stain and install the trim, stain all the wooden cabinets that were unfinished. It was really tricky staining, cutting and attaching sides to all of the cabinets since they were previously all together and didn't need to have finished sides.  We also stained the doors in the hallway.  They look so much better!

Finally a ceiling and carpeting!

Here is the new rebuild, with a space to craft and do homework/study.  I still have organizing to do, especially with the piles of scrap paper I've collected...

This is the family room, it is shaped like an L.  The "boot" part of the leg is here:

 This is the craft and study area I have been organizing.

I used to have clear tubs, but I thought it looked very messy, so I went with photo boxes.  I'm not sure if it looks better, but it is more organized.  The large cabinet below on the left is full of fun craft supplies for the kids.

On the other side of the room is this area for homework and other crafting.  My computer and printer are also near the window.  (Blinds are on their way).

I can't say I'm done, but I'm certainly on my way.  I can't wait to start crafting again!! Miss all my crafting buddies online.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Operation Write Home Challenge # 158

Hello all!  I'm a little late with the challenge this week, but I fell into a little funk over the weekend.  I think all of the basement craziness had gotten the best of me. Usually card making helps me relax, but I wasn't in the mood to do much of anything the past few days - A very ODD feeling...

Anyways, I am beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel, THANK GOD!  Here is my interpretation of Operation Write Home - Challenge #158.

I'm still in love with K&Company's Ancestry design papers, so here is another nostalgic card.

The paper is from K&Company.  The stamp is from a dear friend and I'm not sure where is came from.  I stamped it on white paper and then sponged Ranger Ink.  I printed the sentiment on the computer and sponged it as well.  The coordinating pop up flower is from K&Company too.  Thanks for looking

 158 unknown